Monday 4 November 2013

Food We Enjoy At Home

I have not cooked for a while and so, did not have any pictures of homemade dishes to share here. Well, that is because my mother-in-law came to help me with the cooking when I was 30 weeks pregnant and then I went into labour two weeks later. For Chinese families, we usually would engage a "confinement lady" to do the cooking for us, for 28 days from the day of delivery. This is because we believe that women who just gave birth must go on a special diet and take a lot of rest. 

I was told that I prawn is among the foods that I need to avoid in the coming months due to C-Section. However, I will still be cooking it for my family since it is one of my son's favourite. Here is one of our favourite dishes with prawns. It is very easy to prepare. 



Steamed egg with prawns
Ingredients: eggs, prawns, goji, ginger, onion, garlic, water, cooking oil, sesame oil, salt

- Peel prawns and devein, add in some sesame oil and sprinkle with some salt. Set aside.
- Soak goji in water
- Heat cooking oil in a pan and stir fry onion, ginger and garlic, set aside
- In a bowl, lightly break the yolk of the eggs with a fork or chopsticks. Make sure that you do not create any bubbles
- Pour the eggs into the plate which you will use to steam the dish
- Add in water (should be the same amount with the egg)
- Add in the onion, ginger, garlic, goji and prawns
- Steamed until egg is firm but still soft



Stir fry Lotus Root

Ingredients: Lotus root, leek, carrot, shiitake mushroom, onion, garlic, salt, water, cooking oil

- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add garlic and onion and stir fry until they turn golden brown.
- Add in lotus root, carrot, shiitake mushroom, leek and salt.
- Stir fry for a few minutes. Add water and simmer for 20 minutes.

Steamed Okra

Ingredients: Okra, shallot, salt, cooking oil, soy sauce

- Cut off both ends of okra. Sprinkle with some salt and arrange on a plate and steam until soft (approximately 8 mins)
- In a pan, heat cooking oil and fry shallots until they turn golden brown. Add in soy sauce and turn off the heat immediately.
- Top okra with the fried shallots and serve immediately. 






No comments: